Sunday, April 3, 2016

Week 1: Two Cultures




http://www.universitytimes.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/artscience.jpeg
http://www.funticles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Fotolia_57996634_S-650x300.jpg
I can greatly relate to the existence of two cultures and the difficulties that arise from this idea because I am an undeclared physical science major, yet I also have a very artistic side that I unfortunately cannot fully explore due to the intense separation that prominently exists at UCLA. One of the most obvious obstacles is simply that UCLA's large campus is divided by these two cultures; North campus belonging to the arts and humanities, and South campus focused solely on math and science. This geographical separation leads to the separation of people, which in consequence leads to the withdrawal of collaboration between the two cultures, and this collaboration has been an important aspect of the past success in both the artistic and scientific worlds, as referred to in the reading, "The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution by C.P. Snow." I consider myself to be "in between" the cultures due to the fact that  I am interested in both sides, and I have been greatly affected by the disconnection because I have faced difficulty at finding classes that interest me, yet also support my major, as well as the fact that the campus does not geographically support the involvement in both cultures. Stephen Wilson explains that the gap between art and science is reducing because artists have been more and more interested with learning about technology. 


https://www.flickr.com/photos/furiousgeorge81/95137658
I see myself as lucky that I have grown up with a father who works as an engineer, and a mother who works in design, therefor exposing me to both cultures from a very young age. Not only was I able to note the aspects of each world, but I was able to notice how my mother and father helped each other with their work even though they are from allegedly "different" cultures. I have benefited from this because it has broadened my own perspective on how this divide of society is actually detrimental, and it encourages me to use skills from both cultures in order to exist in the "third culture" and experience greater success in my own life. 


Sources: 
"Academic EBriefings." A Dangerous Divide. N.p., 24 July 2009. Web. 03 Apr. 2016
Bohm, David. "On Creativity." 2nd ed. Vol. 1. London: MIT, 1968. Print. 137-149
Snow, C. P. "The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution." New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print. 
Wilson, Stephen. "Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology." College Art Association Meetings. New York, New York, 2000. Print
Vesna, Victoria. "Towards a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print. 







8 comments:

  1. Hi Madison,
    Overall I think your blog post was excellent. From your examples such as the division of the UCLA campus and how you decide that you are interested in both sides,I can tell that you were able to understand the term of "Two Cultures". I also really liked the background image and layout of your blog post.
    Great Job,
    Jacob Tuioti-Mariner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madison, I thought your post was great! I love how you use the example of your parents and that is very unique. I can agree with you how its tough to be able to explore both sides of art and science when UCLA divides them. I am a nursing major but I really enjoy the arts as well so I can also say I am in between the two.
    Great post,
    Ana Pedroza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison,
    Your blog is simple yet effective, and I enjoyed reading it. My parents are different in the same sense, and I've also learned a lot growing up in a family that has "two cultures". I strongly agree that UCLA should encourage more interaction between North and South Campus because a lot of innovations could come from that.
    Best,
    Scott Yang

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madison,
    I think you did a really great job providing many examples to support your overall point of feeling as if you're "in between." You presented a lot of information effectively and kept it brief and to the point making it easy to read and to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Madison,
    I think you did a really great job providing many examples to support your overall point of feeling as if you're "in between." You presented a lot of information effectively and kept it brief and to the point making it easy to read and to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharp looking blog. Your interest in design is apparent. Love your use of color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're blog is very informative in explaining the two cultures. Its an easy read and understandable. I enjoyed reading you're blog and love your set up

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very interesting that you have chosen to pursue the physical sciences and yet display such artistic talent in this blog. Hopefully as you further your academic career you will have more opportunity to express your artistic ability while studying the sciences.

    ReplyDelete